Lectures, Excursions & Events
- North-east Ireland
Fri 2 Sep 2016 |9:00 - Mon 5 Sep 2016 |18:00
- North West Highlands Geopark geotour
Tue 6 Sep 2016 |18:00 - Tue 13 Sep 2016 |9:00
Sun 2 Oct 2016 |9:00
- The Great Dying: what happened 250 million years ago? (lecture)
Thu 13 Oct 2016 |19:30
- Cave deposits (speleothems) as archives of past environments and climates (lecture)
Thu 10 Nov 2016 |19:30
News and Features
- Lecture programme for 2016-2017
The society's lecture programme for the 2016-2017 session has now been arranged.
- Friends of Hugh Miller newsletter
The summer 2016 newsletter from The Friends of Hugh Miller is now available.
- New page for excursion itineraries
A new page has been created with links to all the excursion itineraries published by the society that are available on the website.
- Anniversaries page now complete
The Anniversaries page in the website's new Archive section is now complete, with entries for 1866 and every 25 years since.
- Members' Night programme
The programme for Members' Night has now been finalised.
Membership of the society provides:
- An annual programme of illustrated lectures of interest to both amateur and professional geologists
- Specialist-led field excursions to localities of geological significance
- Newsletters, society proceedings and the Scottish Journal of Geology
- Discount on books and published guides of geological interest
- Access to our own library and the University of Glasgow library
Welcome to the Geological Society of Glasgow
I am pleased to welcome you to the website for the Geological Society of Glasgow. The society was founded in 1858 and, with around 400 members, is still going strong! We enjoy monthly lecture meetings from October to May on a wide variety of topics by leading experts in their fields. We also run a variety of field excursions through the ‘summer’ months (April to September), involving day trips and longer (residential) excursions. Members also enjoy a subscription to the Scottish Journal of Geology.
We are proud of our society and I hope you enjoy exploring our website. Please come along to our meetings: you will be sure to receive a warm welcome. I look forward to meeting you.